Conducting Risk Assessments
This program has been developed to outline the process for conducting a risk assessment in a horticulture farming environment.
Risk assessment is a technique for proactively identifying and addressing risks in all settings. It is a key tool for effective risk management both in the context of health and safety management and for management of risks in all other settings across the farm.
- To ensure that a consistent approach to the application of risk assessment techniques is applied across the business.
- Identify processes and situations that may cause harm, particularly to people.
- Determine how likely it is that each hazard will occur and how severe the consequences would be.
- Decide what steps the business can take to stop these hazards from occurring or to control the risk.
- Providing an analysis of possible threats
- Preventing injuries or illnesses
- Meeting legal requirements
- Creating awareness about hazards and risk
- Creating an accurate inventory of available assets
- Justifying the costs of managing risks
- Determining the budget to remediate risks
- Understanding the return on investment