Understanding Human Rights
Human rights recognise the inherent value of each person. This program outlines human rights in the workplace context.
To understand how human rights affect us in our daily lives and to acknowledge our responsibilities in recognising the need to balance those rights with the rights of others, we require an understanding of what human rights are.
- So what are human rights?
- Where did they come from?
- How do they impact on humanity?
- How do they affect you?
- develop an understanding of what human rights are
- understand the origins of modern human rights
- appreciate the meaning and significance of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and other human rights instruments
- appreciate the relationship between rights and responsibilities
- understand the forms human rights can take, legally and morally
- understand how human rights instruments are applied in Australian law and society
- analyse the relationship of human rights to daily life
- apply the concepts of human rights to their own lives.
- basic information about the concepts encompassed by the term ‘human rights’
- an historical context for the development of human rights laws and the establishment of the United Nations
- the processes involved in the drafting and publication of international documents and treaties that support human rights
- an overview of how human rights are incorporated at a national level in Australia
- an understanding of how human rights are relevant in every day life